Terms & Conditions
These terms and conditions (the “Terms and Conditions”) govern the use of www.lawyerlocate.ca (the “Site”). This Site is owned and operated by LawyerLocate.ca Inc. This Site is a lawyer directory and referral service.
By using this Site, you indicate that you have read and understand these Terms and Conditions and agree to abide by them at all times.
All content published and made available on our Site is the property of LawyerLocate.ca Inc. or the property of a third party who maintains a directory listing with our service. This includes, but is not limited to images, text, logos, documents, downloadable files and anything that contributes to the composition of our Site.
As a user of our Site, you agree to use our Site legally, not to use our Site for illegal purposes, and not to:
- Harass or mistreat other users of our Site;
- Violate the rights of other users of our Site;
- Violate the intellectual property rights of the Site owners or any third party to the Site;
- Hack into the account of another user of the Site;
- Act in any way that could be considered fraudulent; or
- Post any material that may be deemed inappropriate or offensive.
If we believe you are using our Site illegally or in a manner that violates these Terms and Conditions, we reserve the right to limit, suspend or terminate your access to our Site. We also reserve the right to take any legal steps necessary to prevent you from accessing our Site.
Referral Service Use By Non-Members
- The information on this system is not legal advice.
- LawyerLocate.ca Inc. provides you with immediate access to lawyers and professionals in your area to assist you with your legal issues.
- Our service is free to people and businesses searching for a lawyer.
- Lawyers will read your submitted information and will get in touch with you by email or telephone, if they are interested in your case. By providing your contact numbers and address, you will give the lawyer the ability to assess your needs and respond quickly to you.
- Using this service does not create a lawyer-client relationship, and as such information provided may not necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential.
- You are under no obligation to hire any lawyer or professional who responds to your submission.
- Our service is to provide you with an opportunity to communicate with lawyers and professionals quickly to allow you to determine who can best address your needs and issues at a rate that you are comfortable with.
- The initial response to your submission from the lawyers or other professionals (by way of email or telephone) is at no cost to you. Since lawyers and professionals typically charge for their time, you should ask the lawyer or professional about fees and costs before you book an appointment or consultation. Some of the lawyers may provide free consultations, others may not. Please ensure you ask before you attend for a consultation. If you require legal aid assistance, some of the lawyers on our system accept legal aid certificates, and this requirement should be marked off in your submission.
- LawyerLocate.ca Inc. is not responsible for nor does it guarantee any services provided by the lawyers or other professionals retained as a result of this service.
- LawyerLocate.ca Inc. does not provide legal advice, nor does it specifically recommend any particular lawyer or service.
- LawyerLocate.ca Inc. is not responsible for the services or advice provided by the subscribing lawyers and professionals on our service.
- All lawyers and professionals on our service have certified to us that they are qualified and licensed practitioners in their respective fields.
Users may post the following information on our Site:
- Videos; and
- Other details related to themselves, their practice, and/or their firm.
By posting publicly on our Site, you agree not to act illegally or violate these Terms and Conditions.
When you create an account on our Site, you agree to the following:
- You are solely responsible for your account and the security and privacy of your account, including passwords or sensitive information attached to that account; and
- All personal information you provide to us through your account is up to date, accurate, and truthful and that you will update your personal information if it changes, and
- You certify that you are properly licensed and duly qualified to practice in the appropriate field and relevant jurisdiction and you hereby undertakes to notify LawyerLocate.ca Inc. if you should become disqualified from practice for any reason.
We reserve the right to suspend or terminate your account if you are using our Site illegally or if you violate these Terms and Conditions.
Sale of Services
These Terms and Conditions govern the sale of services available on our Site.
The following services are available on our Site:
- Directory listing;
- Referral service; and
- Banner advertising.
The services will be paid for in full when the services are ordered.
Payment for monthly memberships are by way of preauthorized credit card transactions and are subject to a 3-month minimum.
These Terms and Conditions apply to all the services that are displayed on our Site at the time you access it. All information, descriptions, or images that we provide about our services are as accurate as possible. However, we are not legally bound by such information, descriptions, or images as we cannot guarantee the accuracy of all services we provide. You agree to purchase services from our Site at your own risk.
We reserve the right to modify, reject or cancel your order whenever it becomes necessary. If we cancel your order and have already processed your payment, we will give you a refund equal to the amount you paid. You agree that it is your responsibility to monitor your payment instrument to verify receipt of any refund.
Your subscription with the Site automatically renews, and you will be automatically charged by way of a preauthorized credit card transaction, until we receive notification that you want to cancel the subscription.
At any time during the subscription, should you wish to end your contract with our service, you may cancel at any time. Subscriptions cancelled in the middle of a subscription period may remain active until the last day of the subscription period and then expire. We do not credit for the remainder of the term, regardless of the term length chosen during registration. There are no refunds. There is a 3-month minimum on monthly memberships.
If you are an annual subscriber and subscribed before October 15, 2022, we will automatically send you an annual renewal invoice near the end of your current term. If you no longer wish to renew your annual subscription, notify us in writing (email to firstname.lastname@example.org) prior to your annual renewal date and we will void the renewal invoice and terminate your subscription on your expiry date.
We accept the following payment methods on our Site:
- Credit Card;
- Apple Pay; and
- Google Pay.
When you provide us with your payment information, you authorize our use of and access to the payment instrument you have chosen to use. By providing us with your payment information, you authorize us to charge the amount due to this payment instrument.
If we believe your payment has violated any law or these Terms and Conditions, we reserve the right to cancel or reverse your transaction.
At any time during the subscription, should you wish to end your contract with our service, you may cancel at any time. A subscriptions cancelled in the middle of a subscription period may remain active until the last day of the subscription period and then expire. We do not credit for the remainder of the term, regardless of the term length chosen during registration. There are no refunds. There is a 3-month minimum on monthly memberships.
Additional Terms for Members
- LawyerLocate.ca Inc. will receive electronic submissions from potential clients with the background information and description of their problems and these submissions will be sent to all appropriate lawyers on the same business day.
- When you receive the email, it is up to you to decide if you wish to respond.
- If you choose to respond, you may do so by email or telephone to the potential client.
- The initial response is to be provided on a no fee basis to the potential client. The detail and length of your response is at your discretion.
- We require that if you respond to the submission, you provide sufficient information to allow the potential client to make an informed choice of whether they wish to retain your services.
- Once you book an appointment or consultation with the potential client, you are to advise the potential client of any and all fees and costs for your service. For example, if you book a potential client for a consultation and you are charging a fee for the consultation, you must ensure that you advise the potential client of that charge in advance.
- You are under no obligation to provide free consultations. That is up to you. If you do provide free consultations, then you can advise of your fees and costs at the consultation.
- All email submissions provided by this service are referrals only to the subscriber. The subscriber shall not distribute or provide any other person with the referral. This will ensure the value of the service all subscribers receive.
- All information provided by potential clients are to be kept confidential.
Consumer Protection Law
Where the Consumer Protection Act, or any other consumer protection legislation in your jurisdiction applies and cannot be excluded, these Terms and Conditions will not limit your legal rights and remedies under that legislation. These Terms and Conditions will be read subject to the mandatory provisions of that legislation. If there is a conflict between these Terms and Conditions and that legislation, the mandatory provisions of the legislation will apply.
Links to Other Websites
Our Site contains links to third party websites or services that we do not own or control. We are not responsible for the content, policies, or practices of any third party website or service linked to on our Site. It is your responsibility to read the terms and conditions and privacy policies of these third party websites before using these sites.
Limitation of Liability
LawyerLocate.ca Inc. and our directors, officers, agents, employees, subsidiaries, and affiliates will not be liable for any actions, claims, losses, damages, liabilities and expenses including legal fees from your use of the Site.
Except where prohibited by law, by using this Site you indemnify and hold harmless LawyerLocate.ca Inc. and our directors, officers, agents, employees, subsidiaries, and affiliates from any actions, claims, losses, damages, liabilities and expenses including legal fees arising out of your use of our Site or your violation of these Terms and Conditions.
These Terms and Conditions are governed by the laws of the Province of Alberta.
If at any time any of the provisions set forth in these Terms and Conditions are found to be inconsistent or invalid under applicable laws, those provisions will be deemed void and will be removed from these Terms and Conditions. All other provisions will not be affected by the removal and the rest of these Terms and Conditions will still be considered valid.
These Terms and Conditions may be amended from time to time in order to maintain compliance with the law and to reflect any changes to the way we operate our Site and the way we expect users to behave on our Site. We will notify users by email of changes to these Terms and Conditions or post a notice on our Site.
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns. Our contact details are as follows:
1 (866) 538-0376
P.O. Box 8456
Effective Date: 15th day of October 2022. Last Updated: 6th day of January 2023